Graduate Employment, Fellowship and Scholarship Opportunities
ACADEMIC SUPPORT CENTER:
- Awarded to full-time graduate students.
- Recipient tutors Assumption College students in key study and reading skills.
- Value is stipend and/or tuition remission.
- Candidates should apply to Allen Bruehl, Director of the Academic Support Center, by phone (508) 767-7311 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
GRADUATE FELLOWSHIP IN CLINICAL COUNSELING PSYCHOLOGY:
- Awarded principally on the basis of scholastic record to full-time Clinical Counseling Psychology graduate students, new and returning.
- Recipient assists faculty member(s) in Clinical Counseling Psychology department.
- Value is 30 credits of tuition remission.
- Candidate should apply by letter to Dr. Leonard Doerfler by March 1 regardless of the semester they are applying toward as their program start. The letter should highlight the candidate's interest in the Clinical Counseling Psychology program and include a brief explanation of their background and career interests. E-mail: email@example.com.
- All Graduate Fellowship candidates will be notified by April 14 regardless of their semester start date - spring, summer, or fall.
A limited number of positions are available through the Office of Residential Life. Resident Director and Head Resident Assistant positions provide certain tuition remission and housing benefits. Please call the Office of Residential Life at (508)767-7505 for details.
REHABILITATION COUNSELING SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES:
Rehabilitation Services Administration Scholarship in Rehabilitation Counseling
The RSA Graduate Scholarship in Rehabilitation Counseling is funded through a grant by the United States Department of Education/Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) and administered by the Rehabilitation Counseling Program at Assumption College.
A limited number of scholarships are available. Scholarships are awarded to full-time students based on consideration of several factors including financial need, academic standing, rehabilitation interest area, representation of an underserved population, and the availability of funds.
In 2016, in excess of $175,000 was awarded in tuition support to our students.
To qualify for the scholarship, a student must be:
- a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- unconditionally accepted into the Master of Arts in Rehabilitation Counseling program at Assumption College.
- enrolled full-time (NOTE: For the online program, full-time students are enrolled in TWO(2) courses for the first five semesters).
Application procedures for eligible students are as follows:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), listing the school code for Assumption as 002118. The FAFSA can be completed online at www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Submit the RSA Scholarship Application to the Rehabilitation Counseling Graduate Program Director, Dr. Nicholas Cioe.
- All applications are reviewed and scholarships will be awarded by the RC Program Director and the Human Services and Rehabilitation Studies Chairperson.
- Preferential selection is given to students who have already completed their first semester in the program.
- Students are required to complete the “scholarship agreement” form before any scholarship funds can be applied to tuition.
- Unclaimed awards are reassigned and alternate candidates are notified of their selection to receive a scholarship.
According to federal guidelines, individuals awarded financial support through long term training grants sponsored by the Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) of the Department of Education must review and sign an RSA Traineeship Agreement which includes an employment payback provision that requires recipients to work for a state/federal Vocational Rehabilitation agency or a related rehabilitation program after graduation or agree to repay the Federal Government for all traineeship funds received from this program with interest as stipulated by federal guidelines and/or the terms of the grant and/or within 10 years if other guidelines do not apply.
For more information please contact Dr. Nicholas Cioe at firstname.lastname@example.org or (508) 767-7063.
Charles E. Soule Scholarship in Rehabilitation Counseling
The Charles E. Soule Scholarship in Rehabilitation Counseling is funded by an endowment established by Unum Companies and administered by the Rehabilitation Counseling Graduate Program at Assumption College. Mr. Charles “Chuck” Soule, as President of Paul Revere insurance company, established the rehabilitation department. He led with a strong belief in the value of work and a commitment to helping insured’s either stay at work or return to work. As such, the intent of this award is to support students with a strong desire to support vocational rehabilitation during their career.
The scholarship is awarded annually to qualified graduate students in Rehabilitation Counseling. To be considered for the Soule Scholarship the applicant must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States and be an unconditionally accepted full-time student (9 or more credits/semester) in the on campus Master of Arts in Rehabilitation Counseling program at Assumption College. The scholarship is a merit scholarship and will be awarded based on an applicant’s academic record, personal and professional commitment to serving individuals with disabilities and the rehabilitation counseling profession, and a desire to have a career in vocational rehabilitation. Other materials (e.g., transcripts, resume) submitted as part of the application to the Rehabilitation Counseling program may also be considered as part of the selection process.
Two Soule Scholarships of up to $5,000 will be awarded for the 2017-2018 academic year, dispersed in the form of tuition remission. The exact amount of each scholarship will be based on the availability of funds. Traditionally, students who win the scholarship during the first year of their program maintain it for the second year of their program if they have maintained excellent academic standing. The maximum that any student may receive is two consecutive scholarship awards, or a total of ten thousand dollars ($10,000).
Applicants must submit a letter including a brief description of his/her background and career interests, and a rational for why (s)he embodies the beliefs and values of Chuck Soule. The deadline for applying for the 2017-2018 Soule Scholarship is Wednesday August 9th, 2017.
Application letters should be addressed to: Dr. Nicholas Cioe, Rehabilitation Counseling Graduate Program, Assumption College, 500 Salisbury St., Worcester, MA 01609-1296 OR e-mailed to: email@example.com.
The Soule Scholarship recipients will be notified by the Rehabilitation Counseling Program Director and be required to provide written acknowledgment of their intent to accept the award within 7 days or being notified. Scholarship awards not formally accepted will be considered forfeited and alternative candidate applications will be considered.
It is the student’s responsibility to comply with all college, state, federal, or other regulations associated with the Charles E. Soule Scholarship in Rehabilitation Counseling award.