Assumption invites students to develop and deepen a longing for God. Whether just beginning their spiritual journey or having walked the road of faith for some time, students find many opportunities for spiritual growth on campus including retreats, discussion groups, spiritual direction with a campus minister, Bible study, men’s and women’s discernment groups, Christian Initiation, and coffeehouse presentations on integrating faith in one’s life.
Whether one day or a full weekend, on campus or off, retreats provide students with a chance to deepen their understanding of, and relationship with, God while growing in community.
- Genesis Retreat: Just for first-year students and offered in mid-September, the Genesis Retreat encourages students who are beginning their university experience to reflect on their desires and goals for their first year. Led by sophomores and juniors, the retreat also gives students a chance to learn about the resources Campus Ministry provides for spiritual development.
- START and Horizon Retreats: For students of any class year, these retreats are off-campus and encourage students to reflect on a number of different themes including identity, commitment, faith, prayer, and discipleship. The retreats are student-led and provide students with an opportunity to grow in one’s understanding of God and in how to put one’s faith into action.
- Senior Retreat: This retreat provides seniors with the opportunity to reflect on their university experience and to look ahead with hope to their years beyond Assumption. Designed by and for seniors, it is held off-campus and is open to any member of the graduating class.
- Lenten Mini-Retreat: For any member of the Assumption University community (students, faculty, staff, alumni, etc.), this retreat takes place on campus on a Sunday afternoon in Lent and is based upon a theme of the presenter’s choice.
Contact Br. Daniele Caglioni, A.A. for more information about the retreat program.
Other Opportunities for Spiritual Growth and Development
- Agape Latte: Students gather to hear about the faith journeys of faculty and staff members, who are chosen by students, in a casual, social setting. Free desserts and coffee are served! Contact Br. Daniele Caglioni, A.A. for more information.
- Athletes InterVarsity: Assumption athletes gather together to further understand the Christian faith, deepen their knowledge of Scripture, and engage in conversation about how to live out the Gospel on a daily basis. Contact Rachel Dean for more information.
- Bible Study: Students who are curious about Scripture come together weekly opportunity to dig deeper into its meaning in a conversational setting. Contact Scott Brill for more information.
- Christian Initiation: This opportunity prepares students for reception into the Catholic Church who have not been baptized, have been baptized in a different Christian tradition, or have been baptized Catholic and have not received the sacraments of Eucharist and/or Confirmation. Contact Deacon Paul Covino for more information.
- Brotherhood of Emmaus: This group provides students with a supportive space to discuss discernment of one’s vocation – whether to ordained ministry, religious life, marriage, or the single life – in a small group setting. Contact Brother Daniele Caglioni, A.A. for more information.