Assumption students petting a black and white dog

Living Healthy and Making Responsible Decisions

College is a time of change and often a time of many firsts. Becoming independent. Meeting new people. Living in a new environment. Managing time effectively. Making decisions about the future. Dealing with the demands of academic life. While these changes are exciting, the transition may not always be easy.

Assumption University’s Wellness Center encompasses Health Services and Counseling Services, providing full-time services to accommodate students’ needs. Licensed, certified Nurse Practitioners working in collaboration with a consulting physician assess and treat health problems of full-time undergraduate students. Services offered by Student Health Services (SHS) are covered by undergraduate tuition and fees. You do need not need to purchase the school health insurance plan in order to receive care. 

Clinic visits are by appointment, and most appointments can be arranged within one business day. Appointments can be made by calling the office at 508-767-7329.

Health Services

  • Alcohol and other drug use choices can have a significant impact on the academic, emotional, physical and spiritual life of students. A collaboration between the Offices of Student Affairs, Health Services and the Student Development & Counseling Center strives to help all members of our community make safe, healthy choices regarding alcohol and other drugs.

    The staff also provides support to students who are concerned about their own use, or are concerned about the use of a friend/relative. Consultation, information, assessment and referral are available for Assumption University undergrads at no cost.

    Research & Assessment
    Research is a crucial part of the alcohol and drug education program at Assumption University. In order to determine the needs of the students and identify trends on campus, Assumption University conducts annual surveys.
    First-year students participate in a survey administered when taking the AlcoholEdu class in the fall semester
    All undergraduates are invited to participate in the Core Survey in the spring semester. The Core Survey is used by many institutions of higher education, and more than 70,000 college students participate.

    The research findings enable the Alcohol & Drug Education program to develop programs that meet the specific needs of our community. The Office offers several groups for students, faculty and staff to participate in throughout the year including:

    Peers Advocating Wellness for Students (PAWS)
    PAWS is a passionate and responsible group of student leaders who extend health and wellness education beyond the walls of the classroom. PAWS provide students with facts and resources on health-related topics including alcohol and drug use. They do this in a positive, interactive, fun and non-judgmental manner.

  • Students who need to access immediate medical services (that are not emergencies) such as urgent care facilities and do not have any means of transportation may be eligible for free cab rides. There is no cost to you for this transportation.

    During business hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), you may call Student Health Services (508-767-7329) and request a cab for the immediate medical need. Remember, many immediate care needs can be resolved through Student Health Services at no cost. A health services professional will assess the situation and if it is determined that you will need to access off-campus resources and do not need to be transported by ambulance, they will make arrangements for a round-trip cab service at no charge.

    After business hours (4:30 p.m. to 8:30 a.m.), students should call Public Safety (508-767-7225) and request a cab for an urgent medical need. An officer will respond to assess the situation, and if it is determined that you do not need to be transported by ambulance, they will make arrangements for a round-trip cab service at no charge.

    Cabs will transport students to local urgent and emergency care facilities in the Worcester area. 

  • Assumption University strives to make the transition to College as easy as possible for new students. The following frequently asked questions may provide the answers to your questions. If you still have questions, please contact the Wellness Center at 508-767-7329.

    How do I submit my required health information?

    Undergraduate and graduate students have different requirements for submitting health information. All required health information must be submitted by using the Student Wellness Portal. You will be able to access the Patient Wellness Portal from the front page of your Assumption University Student Portal. Once you can access your Assumption University student portal, you will be able to access the Student Wellness Portal and upload your information.

    When is the required health information due?

    Undergraduate and graduate student health information should be submitted online via the Student Wellness Portal by July 15th (fall enrollment) or January 15th (spring enrollment). If you haven’t submitted your information by the deadline, a hold will be placed on your account, preventing you from registering for classes, moving onto campus and/ or practicing/ playing a collegiate sport.

    My doctor/I faxed my immunization/health records to Assumption University. How do I know if they have been received?

    We cannot accept faxes of your records, please submit all of your information online to the Student Wellness Portal.  You should, however, obtain a printout or a signed copy of your immunizations from your medical provider’s office to upload to the portal.

    Why are immunizations required?

    Massachusetts public health regulations and college policy require that any full-time undergraduate or graduate student (enrolled in 9 or more credits in a semester),  full or part-time international students, and full or part-time health science students must provide proof of immunization compliance before the start of classes. In the event of a communicable disease outbreak, students who are not adequately immunized or are without laboratory evidence of immunity must be excluded from school. This policy includes all students with medical or religious exemptions.

    What will happen if I don’t submit my immunizations?

    Failure to comply with Massachusetts immunization requirements will result in a hold on your Assumption University course registration and will prevent you from moving onto campus, attending classes or practice for a DII sport.

    What are the required immunizations?

    Students must receive the following immunizations before coming to campus:

    • Hepatitis B – 3 doses OR Hepatitis Immune Serology (titer) with lab documentation
    • Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) – 2 doses MMR OR MMR Immune Serology (titer) with lab documentation
    • Varicella (Chicken Pox) – 2 doses of Varicella OR history of disease OR birthdate before 1980 or Varicella Immune Serology (titer) with lab documentation
    • Tdap (Tetanus-Diphtheria and Pertussis) – 1 dose of Tdap within the past 10 years
    • Meningococcal Meningitis (required for any student living on campus) – 1 dose of MenACWY given at age 16 or older, OR signed waiver

    What if I don’t have all of my immunizations?

    If you cannot locate your records and know you have had immunizations in the past, a titer (blood test) can show your immunity to:

    • Measles, Mumps, or Rubella
    • Hepatitis B
    • Varicella

    Contact your health care provider for further information about blood titer tests. You will need to upload a copy of the lab reports showing immunity to the Student Wellness Portal.

    Is anyone exempt?

    Massachusetts law does allow students to seek an exemption for medical or religious reasons. Medical exemption requests must be accompanied by documentation from a health care provider stating that the immunization is medically contraindicated. Religious exemption requests must be accompanied by a signed statement that immunizations are contrary to the student’s sincere religious beliefs. Copies of paperwork documenting religious affiliation and history from previous schools are also acceptable. Students may be exempt from the meningitis vaccination requirement, depending on whether they live on or off-campus. If the meningitis vaccination is waived, the state meningitis waiver form must be completed and uploaded to the portal.

    Who must be tested for tuberculosis?

    Some students are more likely to be exposed to or have active Tuberculosis (TB). This is determined by the answers you give to the questions in the TB  Risk Questionnaire found on the Student Wellness Portal. If you have a higher risk (indicated by your answer to questions on the form) you need to be tested.

    Who will get to see my Immunization Record?

    The only staff who will have access to your immunization records are the staff in Student Health Services and those who need to handle or see it in the context of a public health concern on campus.

    Do I have to enroll in the University’s Student Health Insurance Plan?

    According to the state of Massachusetts, all full-time undergraduate and graduate students are required to carry health insurance. You can be covered under your parent/guardian/spouse’s plan or your own plan.  Undergraduate students do not need to purchase the student health insurance plan from the University in order to receive care at Student Health Services.

    All full-time graduate and undergraduate students are automatically charged for the Assumption University Student Health Insurance Plan. If you determine that you have adequate health insurance after reading the Health Insurance Plan brochure you receive from the Finance Office/Student Accounts, you may waive the charge by completing the online waiver. State law requires that you provide information about the plan under which you are covered, including the Policy Number in order for the insurance charge to be waived prior to registration.

    If you have any insurance questions, please contact the Finance Office at (508) 767-7412.
    If I provide my health insurance information on the Patient Wellness Portal, does that automatically waive the Student Health Insurance Plan?

    Not at all. The Student Health Insurance Plan is automatically added to your student bill unless you sign a waiver. If you determine that you have adequate health insurance after reading the Health Insurance Plan brochure you receive from the Finance Office/Student Accounts, you may waive the charge by completing the waiver ONLINE. State law requires that you provide us with information about the plan under which you are covered, including the Policy Number in order for us to waive the insurance charge prior to registration.
    If you have any insurance questions, please contact the Finance Office at 508-767-7412.

    How do I enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan?

    The Student Health Insurance Plan is handled through the Finance Office. Please contact them with any questions regarding the student health insurance plan.

Counseling Services

  • Counseling Services provides confidential personal counseling, which is covered by tuition and fees.

    Our professional counselors offer:

    • Personal confidential personal assessment and counseling
    • Group Counseling/ psychoeducation
    • Residence hall programming
    • Classroom presentations
    • Student club and organization training
    • Alcohol and drug abuse counseling/ education

    Common Topics Discussed in Counseling

    • Adjusting to college
    • Alcohol/substance use and abuse
    • Anxiety
    • Body image
    • Depression
    • Eating concerns
    • Family matters
    • Grief/ loss
    • Identity loneliness/ homesickness
    • Relationships
    • Roommates
    • Self-esteem
    • Sexuality
    • Sexual assault
    • Time management
  • Who seeks counseling and why?
    Counseling offers a safe place to explore issues that are affecting you, get help figuring out what your options are, and develop ideas about how to handle different situations. A counselor can provide objective feedback, offer some new ways to cope with situations, provide information about other resources, or just simply listen while you sort through an issue out loud.

    What do students talk about in counseling?
    Students can talk to personal counselors about roommates, homesickness, adjusting to college, academic concerns, difficulty sleeping, relationship issues, anxiety, depression and much more. The information you share in your personal counseling sessions is confidential. No one has access to what you say in your sessions, or even that you are coming to Counseling Services for counseling, unless you give written permission for your counselor to share that information. Counseling Services staff are bound by confidentiality.

    Is there a fee for counseling services?
    Counseling services are included in the tuition of full-time undergraduate students.

  • MaryAnn Silvestri, M. Ed, LMHC, CAGS

    Director of Counseling

    MaryAnn Silvestri is a Licensed Mental Health Clinician and the Director of Counseling Services. MaryAnn holds a master’s degree in education with a focus on mental health. She is a licensed school adjustment counselor and a has Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study in parenting education. Before working in higher education MaryAnn worked in public education as a school adjustment counselor for grades k-8. MaryAnn utilizes a solution-focused model, rooted in cognitive and dialectical behavioral therapies.  She works collaboratively with students to identify roadblocks that may be impacting their personal growth. MaryAnn specializes in supporting neurodiverse students, trauma-informed care, and crisis intervention. MaryAnn is certified in evidence-based trauma treatment modalities such as EMDR, Emotional Freedom Technique, and Progressive Counting.

    Nicole Breen, M.Ed., LMHC

    Campus Clinician


    Nicole Breen is a licensed mental health counselor (LMHC) in Massachusetts with a master’s degree in clinical Mental Health Counseling from Springfield College and a bachelor’s degree from Assumption University. Nicole has worked with a diverse range of individuals within higher education, correctional, outpatient, and emergency shelter settings. She has related experience in student affairs, school settings, and working with children with special needs.

    Aastha Mahajan, LICSW

    Campus Clinician

    Aastha Mahajan is a Licensed Certified Social Worker (LCSW) with a Master of Social Work and post graduate certificate in Leaders for Equity and Justice in the Workplace from Boston College and a bachelor’s degree from Emmanuel College. Prior to Assumption, Aastha worked at Dean College, where she provided counseling and advocacy to individuals along with education to the community. She has extensive experience working with survivors of domestic and sexual violence alongside her knowledge of various social systems and intersectionality.

Campus Recreation