Preparing culturally competent school counselors to lead comprehensive programs that promote and enhance student academic, social and emotional success.
School Counseling Program
Graduate Studies Events
Graduate Studies Summer Open House
Join campus community members for an Assumption College Graduate Studies Open House. Spend part of your day with us and learn how a graduate degree or certificate from Assumption College can advance your career. Discuss current programs with faculty representatives, learn more about applying from ou...
Debra BolzAdjunct Faculty Graduate School Counseling
Dawn BreaultAdjunct Faculty HSRS Graduate
Janice ChiapponeAdjunct Faculty Graduate School Counseling
Barbara Colombo-AdamsAdjunct Faculty Human Services and Rehabilitation Studies
Shanna FrostAdjunct Faculty Graduate School Counseling
Jean Lindquist-GradyAdjunct Faculty Human Services and Rehabilitation Studies
Christopher LopesAdjunct Faculty Graduate School Counseling
Lorette McWilliamsVisiting Instructor of School Counseling
Scott SmithAdjunct Faculty Graduate School Counseling
School Counseling-specific Requirements
The MTEL exam is not required for admission into the School Counseling program, however matriculated students must pass the MTEL Communication and Literacy Skills exam prior to enrollment in the practicum.
Candidates for the Massachusetts Initial License for School Guidance Counselor (PreK-8; 5-12) must meet the following standards:
- Prior to enrollment in the practicum, submit evidence of passing scores on the Massachusetts Test for Educator Licensure (MTEL) Communication and Literacy Skills. NOTE: The School Counseling program is state-approved for the Massachusetts Initial License for School Guidance Counselor (PreK-8 or 5-12). Candidates who complete the state-approved program and thereby earn a first Initial License, are eligible for licensure reciprocity with the approximately 24 other states that are parties to the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) Interstate Contract.
GRE scores are not required
General Graduate Studies Admissions Requirements
- Completed Application Dated & Signed
- $30 Application Fee (waived for AC Alumni)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (two for CAGS program)
- Official Transcript(s)
- Personal Statement
- Current Resume
- TOEFL or IELTS for applicants whose native language is not English
School Counseling Program Student Conference Award
This award reimburses up to $150.00 per student to provide fiscal support to active School Counseling students who are presenting at local, state, and/or national level conference related to their program area training.
Institute for School Counseling and School Psychology
The Institute is one of the few professional continuing education programs in the nation focused exclusively on the needs of school counselors. All of the workshops are open to School Counselors, School Social Workers/School Adjustment Counselor, School Psychologists, Rehabilitation Counselors, related counseling practitioners, and graduate students interested in the counseling fields.