Physician Assistant Studies
A developing 28-month PA program culminating in a Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies degree.
Physician Assistant Studies
ABOUT THE PA PROGRAM
Admission Practices Favoring Individuals or Groups:
The Assumption University PA Program will extend a guaranteed interview to any applicant who has earned a degree from Assumption University and meets all admissions requirements. An interview does not guarantee admission to the PA Program. All applicants must meet the same admissions requirements, including academic standards, education requirements, and clinical experience.
The Assumption University PA Program will extend a guaranteed interview to any applicant who is currently serving on active duty in, or is an honorably discharged veteran of, the Uniformed Services of the United States and meets all admissions requirements. An interview does not guarantee admission to the PA Program. All applicants must meet the same admissions requirements, including academic standards, education requirements, and clinical experience.
During the initial development of the Assumption University PA Program, Assumption University undergraduates were offered the opportunity to apply to a “dual degree” program and, if specific requirements were met, were guaranteed admission to the Assumption University PA Program. Students currently enrolled in the “dual degree” program may matriculate, provided they continue to meet all requirements that were previously established at the time of their acceptance to Assumption University; this will reduce the number of available seats in the first cohort. Admission to the “dual degree” program was discontinued in 2020.
ARC-PA Standard A3.13a
Admission Requirements (Education, Experience, and Academic Standards):
- Application must be completed via the Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA)
- Supplemental Application (completed as part of the CASPA application)
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 (as calculated by CASPA)
- A minimum pre-requisite GPA of 3.0 (as calculated by the PA Program)
- Scores from the Acuity Insights Situational Judgment Test*
- TOEFL completion, with a minimum score of 100, within two (2) years of application submission is required for:
- Applicants for whom English is not their primary language
- Applicants who have not completed a degree at a US Academic Institution
- A minimum of 2000 hours of direct patient care
- Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
* The Acuity Insights Situational Judgement Test is a standardized test that evaluates social intelligence and professionalism. Applicants may complete the Acuity Insights Situational Judgement Test online. Note that these tests are offered only on certain dates and it is the applicant's responsibility to ensure the tests are completed prior to the application deadline.
- Completion of the following courses with a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 and a “C” or better in each individual class*:
- Biology: 8 Semester Hours (must include labs)
- Chemistry: 8 Semester Hours (must include labs)
- Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry, or Cell/Molecular Biology (must have one of these courses, biochemistry encouraged): 3 Semester Hours (lab encouraged)
- Human Anatomy: 4 Semester Hours (must include lab)
- Human Physiology: 4 Semester Hours (must include lab)
- Microbiology: 3 Semester Hours (lab encouraged)
- Genetics: 3 Semester Hours
- Psychology: 3 Semester Hours
- Statistics: 3 Semester Hours
*Classes do not expire and will be accepted regardless of when they were taken. The program does recommend that Anatomy and Physiology be repeated if it was taken more than 10 years ago.
- Ability to meet the Assumption University PA Program Technical Standards with or without reasonable accommodations, consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act upon admission and continue to demonstrate them throughout their participation in the program.
- At least three (3) professional letters of recommendation (via CASPA).
- Current and complete curriculum vitae (CV) via CAPSA containing all education and work experience.
Ideal Candidates: Our PA Program mission, vision, and goals reflect our commitment to caring for the whole patient. We aim to help decrease health care disparities and increase health care access to currently underserved populations. We intend to admit and enroll future PAs who have demonstrated commitment to this philosophy.
ARC-PA Standards A3.13b and A3.13d
Practices for Advanced Placement:
The Assumption University PA Program does not accept any Advanced Placement (AP) or CLEP coursework to fulfill prerequisite requirements. All prerequisite coursework must be completed at a regionally accredited college or university. The PA Program does not provide Advanced Placement in the PA Program based on any coursework completed prior to matriculation in the Assumption University PA Program. (ARC-PA Standard A3.13c)
Application must be completed via the Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA).
The New Catrambone Health Sciences Building
The new, 41,000-square foot building features four classrooms, one for 32 students, two for 48 and a large-tiered classroom for 50. Each classroom is fully equipped with a recording system for simulations used during debriefings.
The physician assistant floor features a practice lab with 11 exam tables for teaching how to properly diagnosis a condition. Two simulation labs, comparable to the nursing floor, complement four Objective Structured Clinical Examination rooms where live ‘patient-actors’ dictate a script of medical maladies to teach students how to take a medical history, diagnose a patient and perform a physical exam. The clinical lab space serves as a learning environment for clinical procedures, such as suturing and interventional skills.
Graduate Research Symposium
Assumption University Graduate School Annual Symposium showcases research, innovative projects, successful case study, and creative work of graduate students and recent alums from every graduate program. We offer all graduate students in every program an opportunity to present their excellent work on diverse topics.
Veterans at Assumption
Assumption University recognizes that servicemen and women have demonstrated great courage and made tremendous sacrifices in service to our nation and its people. The University has introduced a number of programs and services to assist veterans during the application process and while veterans are attending Assumption. We also have a lounge designated only for our veteran students. Assumption University is committed to maintaining recognition as a Military Friendly institution. We strive to eliminate barriers to success for our Service Members, Veterans, and their qualified dependents.
Apply to Assumption
Assumption University seeks students who will take full advantage of the extraordinary opportunities available to them. Start your journey and apply today. We look forward to reviewing your application!Undergraduate Admissions Graduate Admissions