Light The Way Scholarship
A Scholarship Opportunity for Incoming Students
Assumption College inspires students, faculty and staff to Light the Way. Our mission reminds us that there is a greater purpose to life and that each individual has gifts and talents to share with the world. In and outside of the classroom, Assumption students are using the incredible resources around them—people, places, opportunities—to feed their minds, grow their hearts, and pass it on.
Assumption’s Light the Way Scholarship is awarded to incoming students who utilize their abilities to Light the Way for others. Whether it’s community service to help people in need, innovation to improve society, or volunteering to heal our planet, this scholarship recognizes and supports students who positively impact the world in their own meaningful way.
Each year, Assumption College will award up to 50, $26,000 scholarships, renewable all four years.*
Meet some of last year's Light the Way Scholars:
Do you Light the Way?
Here’s what you need to know about the application process:
- Applications for the Light the Way Scholarship are due by December 15, 2018.
- A completed Light the Way application includes: electronic application, Light the Way personal statement, a visual representation of how you Light the Way
- A Letter of Recommendation is required for all applicants. Please ask a mentor who has helped you in your commitment to Lighting the Way to submit a letter of recommendation explaining why you are deserving of this scholarship. Letters of recommendation should be emailed to LTWS@assumption.edu with the subject line of “Light the Way Scholarship Letter of Recommendation.” Letters must be received by December 15, 2018.
- All scholarship applicants must also have an application for admission submitted by December 15.
- Recipients will be notified by mid-January.
- The Light the Way Scholarship replaces any prior merit-based awards.
For first-time users: You will need to create an account to submit your Light the Way application. To do so, click on the button below and select “create an account.” Once you’ve registered you will be provided with a temporary pin by email. Please validate your account using the provided pin number and then create your password. Once your registration is complete, you will be directed to the Assumption Application Management dashboard, click “Start New Application,” from the dropdown menu, select “2019 Undergrad,” and lastly select “2019 Light the Way Scholarship.” This will create your Light the Way application. You can open your application by clicking on the hyperlink or selecting “2019 Light the Way Scholarship” from the Application Details screen.
For returning users: To access your Light the Way application, click on the button below and select "Log in" to continue to your application. You will need to enter your email address and password to access your Assumption Application Management dashboard. Once logged in you can open your application by clicking on the hyperlink or selecting "2019 Light the Way Scholarship" from the Application Details screen.
- Students must submit a 500 word reflection by March 1 each year to describe how they fulfilled the mission of Light the Way that year.
- Students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7.
- Students must take GLS 112: Perspectives on Global Humanitarian Relief, a one credit course that challenges students to gain a deep understanding of global migration, of Catholic social teaching connected to that issue, and of the relevant humanitarian efforts of Catholic Relief Services.
Students who fail to meet all renewal criteria will be placed on probation for one year. If renewal criteria is not met in year 2, the student will forfeit the Light the Way Scholarship.