Class of '71 - 50th Reunion
SAVE THE DATE!! The Reunion celebrating the 50th anniversary of our graduation from Assumption University (Assumption College officially became Assumption University on June 10, 2020) is tentatively scheduled for the weekend of June 4-6, 2021. At that time, members of the class of 1971 will be formally honored as Golden Greyhounds! A preliminary schedule of events that will be part of our Reunion maybe found below. Nineteen of your classmates, currently serving on two committees, have enthusiastically volunteered to engage in the planning of social events and request monetary pledges in support of our 50th Anniversary class gift to Assumption University.
The liberal arts education that we received at Assumption combined with the many extracurricular and social activities and opportunities on-campus and throughout the Worcester area community provided many opportunities to mature intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally. It was a formative time of discovery and questioning. In “tune” with the lyrics of Pete Seeger’s Turn, Turn, Turn, “it was a time to weep, a time to laugh, a time to mourn, and a time to dance, a time to rend and a time to sow.”
Our 50th Reunion offers a special time to reminisce about the people and experiences that shaped our lives while at Assumption University. As classmates, our mutual bond endures. The opportunity to share the journey of our personal and professional lives after leaving Assumption will serve as a crowning highlight of connecting with fellow classmates of the class of 1971. If for whatever reason(s) you have never attended a class of ’71 Reunion, then the 50th Anniversary Reunion is surely the time to make it happen. We encourage you to make a special effort to attend and contribute to the goal of bringing together as many classmates as possible.
Soon, you will receive a letter from Chairman Wayne Shepperd and members of the Class Gift Committee about making a donation in honor of the 50th Anniversary of the class 1971. Many unique options for individual giving are available. Our gift will be our legacy to help current and future students enjoy the best academic programs, support services, extracurricular activities, financial aid and scholarships possible – just as we did.
The 1971 Reunion Committee
50th Reunion Coordinator
Chairman of the Social Committee
Amazing ... It has been 50 years since we left Salisbury Street as a group. Now it is time to take a look back and perhaps give back.
One of your classmates (listed below) will contact you this fall. We don’t want to Hound you, but we do want to ask you to consider a financial gift to our Assumption College (now University) Class of 1971 Endowed Scholarship. Financial aid is a great need for current students.
Our Gift Committee’s consensus is that we want to invest in the future of the university and its students. Your financial support will help do so ... and simultaneously, thank Assumption for what it gave to us - a pathway to a career, a family life and a strong faith.
In addition, alumni who focused their undergraduate degree and career in the sciences have an opportunity to support the University’s new Health Sciences Building. This would be a great way for this group of alumni to support the School of Nursing and the School of Health Professions as part of the 50th Reunion.
These two class initiatives are planned to be legacies of our class, a fitting “thank you” that celebrates our 50th Reunion and Assumption University.
Thanks, in advance, for your consideration. If you have any questions, please contact our class liaison Melanie Demarais.
Dr. Bob Belisle
Class Gift Committee, Chairman
50th Reunion Coordinator
Friday, June 4
Special class events:
- Golden Greyhound Induction dinner on Friday night
Saturday, June 5
- Tour of the Worcester Art Museum with Prof. Paul Mahon ’66, tours of campus led by President Francesco C. Cesareo, Ph.D. and tours of the new Tsotsis Family Academic Center.
- 12 noon
- Leadership Brunch for all Golden Greyhounds (free 1971), President’s Council members and 1904 Society Members
- Alumni Awards ceremony
- Houndfest – in the plaza area of the Tsotsis Family Academic Center
- Live music, food trucks, kids activities
- Assigned areas per class under the tent.
- 9 p.m.
Sunday, June 5
- Reunion Breakfast followed by Mass at the Chapel of the Holy Spirit.
- Mr. Thomas J. Bill
- Mr. Paul Blasavage
- Mr. Joseph J. Callahan, III
- Mr. Thomas M. Clark, III
- Rev. George J. Diliddo
- Mr. Kevin M. Dolan
- Donald C. Farwell, Ph.D.
- Roland J. Florio, M.D.
- Mr. Richard J. Furtado
- Rev. Irvin Gagnon
- Mr. Randolph J. Gould, Jr.
- James B. Hanley, D.M.D.
- Mr. Charles A. Harvey, Jr.
- Mr. Edward D. Henrichsen
- Mr. Robert Horvath
- Mr. Peter M. Johnson
- Mr. William F. Katter
- Mr. Charles R. Kennedy, II
- Mr. Frank E. Klick
- Mr. James R. Lash
- Mr. Joseph S. Leary
- Mr. Marc L. Letendre
- Mr. Gerald M. Longworth
- Mr. Kevin P. McNeill
- Mr. Robert M. Messina
- William J. O'Connor, Esq.
- Philip A. Pelosi, Ph.D.
- Mr. Stephen F. Plaza
- Mr. John Sevivas
- Mr. Michael C. Sheehan
- Mr. Bradley G. Stevens
- Mr. William R. Toney
- Mr. Charles J. Hammarstrom, Jr.
- Mr. E. Kevin O'Brien
- Mr. Franklin J. Frontera
- Mr. Guillermo H. Hurtado Cuellar
- Mr. Herbert P. Lepage
- Mr. John P. Nyhan
- Mr. Michael B. Jacobsen
- Mr. Rafael A. Figueroa
- Mr. Raymond L. Demers
- Mr. Robert Banas
- Mr. Robert J. Gardner, Jr.
- Mr. Robert L. Rogers
- Mr. Thomas P. Condon
- Mr. Thomas P. Kozak
Golden Greyhounds are Alumni who have graduated from Assumption University 50 years ago or more. The Class of 1971 will be inducted into this special community of fellow Greyhounds who have a distinguished place in the history of Assumption University.
- Timothy Stanton, Vice President
- Melanie Demarais HA'92, Assistant Vice President for Leadership Giving and Stewardship
- Linda Burlingame Rosenlund '82, Assistant Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations
- Emily Murray '00, Advancement Officer
- Matt Levins G'19, Advancement and Alumni Engagement Coordinator
- Nicki Lazaros, Assistant to the Vice President
- Christina Nathan, Senior Director of Advancement Services
- Joanna Toscano, Gift Processor
- Diana Judge P'04, Data Entry Clerk,
- Amy Logue Gontarz '01, G'08, Director of Alumni Relations
The Assumption Fund
- Tim Martin, Director
- Michael Guilfoyle, Executive Director of Communications
Office of Communications
- Amy Hague Sacco '98, Director
- Timothy Stanton, Vice President
Revist Assumption's 54th Commencement honoring the graduating Class of 1971. This Commencement program contains the names of degree recipients and Commencement speakers; an order of exercises; and other related information. View it here.