The program integrates key elements of management, social sciences, human services, education and health science in such a way to prepare students to become effective professionals.
Health Advocacy Program
Graduate Studies Events
Graduate Studies Summer Open House
Join campus community members for an Assumption College Graduate Studies Open House. Spend part of your day with us and learn how a graduate degree or certificate from Assumption College can advance your career. Discuss current programs with faculty representatives, learn more about applying from ou...
Shining Their Light
Health Advocacy 2015
Operations Manager, Commonwealth Medicine/UMass Medical School
The opportunities for people who graduate with this degree are truly endless.
"I looked at a number of graduate degrees, including an M.S.W. and M.P.H. Ultimately, this program presented the perfect opportunity to pursue my management ambitions and my deeper passion to help people in need navigate the system."
Health Advocacy-specific Admission Requirements
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and an official transcript
- An undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0
We recommend that you give considerable thought to the content of your personal statement as it is an important part of the evaluation process. Success in the program and in the field requires high levels of responsibility, integrity, and interpersonal skill. We are seeking candidates who have thought deeply about their place within the healthcare field. We encourage you to reflect on this and to describe your preparation thoroughly in the essay you submit. Your personal statement should be approximately 600 words that answer each of the following questions:
- Describe the academic preparation and skills that you have that you believe qualify you for the rigorous training involved in our online program in Health Advocacy. Discuss experiential and field-based experiences that you believe prepare you for our program.
- Describe what you hope to accomplish academically during your program and how these relate to your professional career goals.
- Describe the qualities that you see as essential to be effective and then assess yourself in terms of these characteristics.
General Graduate Studies Admissions Requirements
- Completed Application Dated & Signed
- $30 Application Fee (waived for AC Alumni)
- Letters of Recommendation
- Official Transcript(s)
- Personal Statement
- Current Resume
- TOEFL or IELTS for applicants whose native language is not English
National Credentialing Exam in Patient Advocacy
Graduates of our Master's program in Health Advocacy and our Certificate of Patient Advocacy have the availability to take a newly established national credentialing exam in Patient Advocacy. The national BCPA (Board Certified Patient Advocate) certification exam has been developed to iterate and promote the professional knowledge domains and competencies required to assist patients and caregivers in accessing family-centered healthcare. This is the only certification developed for patient advocates that focuses on patient's autonomy. Earning the BCPA credential requires passing this exam that measures candidates’ skills and abilities, and ensures that advocates meet the emerging professional standards to work successfully as a BCPA. Our courses prepare students for the exam, as students integrate the ethical standards and best practices of patient advocates through these programs of study.
Alliance of Professional Health Advocates
Assumption College is proud to be an affiliate of the Alliance of Professional Health Advocates (APHA). Founded in 2009, APHA now has over 600 members and is one of the largest professional networks for private and independent patient advocates. Assumption College students receive $30 off the first year membership fees! Members receive information and have access to resources for a variety of topics such as legal, finance, technology, and much more.