Name: Alexandra White
Hometown: Milford, CT
Internship Sponsor: Worcester Business Journal (WBJ)
As the Event Planning and Marketing intern, my responsibilities include:
- Assisting my supervisor with creating and updating online promotions, design, and company/event information, through Eventbrite, Saxotech and social media
- Planning and executing events for the Central Massachusetts business community
- Creating event registration lists through Microsoft Excel, communicating with businesses via email, documenting attendees, honorees and their personal information
- Updating WBJ’s sales representatives’ information and clients through Magazine Manager
- Generating invoices and receipts through company files
- Writing press releases
The Worcester Business Journal is the region’s definitive source for business news. We honor business professionals at our professional celebration events and present networking opportunities. As an event planning and marketing intern, I am responsible for projects beginning with updating client information to being involved in the planning and final execution of an event. Being involved in event planning allows me to have the chance to interact with all of the departments of the organization. This internship offers me the experience to be a part of a successful event from start to finish and to market this event online.
For example, I was involved in the Best Of Business Awards (BOB) that WBJ hosts every year. I communicate through email with the attendees and honorees of the event, organize registration lists, develop the agenda for the evening and evaluate how the event was planned. The most rewarding aspect of being a part of all the tasks was to be present at the event, and with my own eyes, see what the company had achieved. It was an incredible feeling to meet and observe the business professionals I communicated with prior to the event. All of the smaller tasks I completed paid off when looking at the success of the event.
I have gained networking experience with the business professionals from the Central Massachusetts community. These professionals are extremely easy to communicate with and when people see that I am an intern, it opens up the floor for much more conversation. All of my responsibilities have given me a step ahead in searching for my business career path.