Student-athletes Honored at Academic Breakfast
Assumption College's Department of Athletics and Recreation held its second annual Academic Excellence Breakfast on April 4. The event recognizes top student-athletes from each program for their outstanding academic performance. (A complete list of student-athletes honored at the breakfast may be found below.) In addition, the Department of Athletics and Recreation "Faculty Member of the Year" was honored for outstanding hard work and dedication to the student-athletes throughout the year.
"In the classroom and in athletic competition, student-athletes learn valuable life-skills such as hard work, perseverance and working as a team," said Assumption College President Francesco C. Cesareo, Ph.D. "These skills are critical to an individual's professional and personal development and fulfilment. On behalf of the College community, I would like to congratulate the student-athletes recognized at this morning's breakfast for their dedication to their academic studies and success in competition."
In addition to the 20 student-athletes who were honored, Associate Professor of Philosophy Daniel Maher, Ph.D., was named the Department of Athletics and Recreation "Faculty Member of the Year." Maher, who serves as the men's basketball team mentor, is a regular attendee at Assumption athletic events and an avid supporter of each of the Greyhound athletic teams. Faculty serve an important role in student-athletes' studies at Assumption. Because of faculty support, student-athletes invite one faculty member as their guest to the breakfast.
"This is always a special event as we have the opportunity to recognize some of our top student-athletes as they achieve at the highest academic level," said Nick Smith, Assumption's director of athletics and recreation. "We always challenge our student-athletes to strive for excellence academically, in the community and on the playing field. In this instance, these student-athletes represent the top performers in their respective sports, and I am very proud of their achievements."
2013-2014 ASSUMPTION ATHLETICS ACADEMIC HIGHLIGHTS
- Seven Assumption student-athletes were named to the 2013-2014 Northeast-10 Academic All Conference Teams for the fall and winter seasons, including Mike Bates, football.
- The men’s and women’s cross country teams earned United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association All-Academic Team honors for an overall team GPA of 3.0 or higher. Three members of the team were named to the Division II National All-Academic Teams.
- Six members of the field hockey team were named to the National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NHFCA) National Academic Squad. Sophomore Abigail Heroth '15 was named an NHFCA Scholar of Distinction for the second straight season of maintaining a GPA of 3.9 of higher.
- The women’s swimming and diving team earned College Swimming Coaches Association of American Scholar All-American honors for the 12th consecutive semester. Eligibility guidelines require a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Six student-athletes were inducted into the Tau Upsilon Alpha Honor Society for human services majors in February.
- Five Assumption student-athletes have earned the Northeast-10 Conference Scholar-Athlete Sports Excellence Award since it was established in 2009. This recognition is awarded to the top student-athlete in each sport in the Northeast-10.
- Assumption College earned a Division II Academic Success Rate of 93 percent, ranking the College 12th nationally among more than 300 schools and fourth among Northeast-10 Conference schools.
- In fall 2013, Assumption reported 250 student-athletes were named to the Northeast-10 Commissioner’s Honor Roll, an increase of 15 from fall 2012.
Below are the individuals who were recognized as part of the ceremony at Friday’s Academic Excellence Breakfast.
Mike Bates – Football
Kelly Conley – Women’s Basketball
Meaghan Curley – Women’s Lacrosse
Justine DiDonato – Women’s Soccer
Taylor Dimmick – Men’s Track and Field
Melanie Freitas – Softball
Kyle Gilman – Golf
Mary Gonring – Volleyball
Abigail Heroth – Field Hockey
Kieran Hillery – Men’s Soccer
Katie Huling – Women’s Swimming and Diving
Tim Kasper – Men’s Basketball
Cassie Lincoln – Women’s Track and Field/Cross Country
Greg O’Donnell – Baseball
Brennen Shaw – Ice Hockey
Matt Suprenant – Men’s Tennis
Casey Vallas – Rowing
Chris Vasapoli – Men’s Lacrosse
Cassandra Waung – Women’s Tennis
Michael Weselcouch – Men’s Cross Country
The Academic Excellence Breakfast is held on the same day as National Student-Athlete Day (NSAD), nationally recognized on April 4 at NCAA-member colleges and universities across the country. According to the NCAA, NASD recognizes the accomplishments of student-athletes nationwide who excel in the classroom, on the playing fields, and in their communities.
Michael Guilfoyle, Executive Director of Media Relations, Assumption College