October 27, 2016
WILLIAM SMITH, Director of Financial Aid
If you received our last issue of Parent Perspectives, I hope that the tips we shared to get a jump start on the process of filling out the FAFSA were helpful. If you have not yet begun this important step in the college application process, don’t worry, the initial steps will not take long. Just click here if you need some help getting started. Once completed, you can then file.
Filing the FAFSA Online
Assumption College strongly recommends that you file the 2017-18 FAFSA online beginning October 1st, 2016.
· Go to www.fafsa.gov
· Click "Start A New FAFSA” and follow the instructions for completing the form
· You should periodically click SAVE, especially if it will take you more than 30 minutes to complete a page. (This will avoid the chances of losing the information you have entered.)
· At the bottom of each page, be aware of the button "Need Help?" Clicking this at any time allows you to obtain more information about the meaning of a question on that particular page.
· You will need to list at least one college on the form. As a reminder, Assumption’s Federal School Code is 002118.
IRS DATA retrieval
Many students and parents who have completed their 2015 IRS tax return will be able to use the IRS Data retrieval tool electronically to view and upload their tax information to the FAFSA on the web. If available we encourage students and parents to utilize this process.
Student Aid Report
After filing the FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report, also known as a SAR. Your SAR is a record of your reported information that was forwarded to colleges. It is critical that you review the SAR to verify that the information is correct and that the correct colleges received it.
Financial Aid Awarding Timeline
We strongly encourage all students apply for financial aid through the use of the FAFSA on the web beginning October 1st, 2016. Students that have submitted the FAFSA early will be notified of their financial aid awards after their admission decision according to the following timeline.
· Early Decision admits late-December
· Early Action admits early-February
· Regular Decision admits mid-March
Have questions about your financial aid forms? For questions about your FSAID and the FAFSA, call: 800-4-FED-AID (800-433-3243)
Or, you can always contact the Assumption College Financial Aid Office at (508) 767-7158 or firstname.lastname@example.org we would be more than happy to assist you.
Director of Financial Aid