Why Study Abroad?
The reasons for studying abroad are as varied as the students who choose this academic adventure. Assumption College provides students with a variety of opportunities to experience different cultures.
- Assumption Rome Campus: Since Spring 2013, Assumption College has offered students the extraordinary experience of living and learning in the heart of Rome. With Assumption tuition, financial aid, and instructors, the Assumption Rome Campus offers students the incredible opportunity to explore matters of church and state, culture and history - from ancient civilizations to contemporary Europe. After only two years in operation, the Rome Campus was named named one of the 10 "best study abroad programs in America” by an independent college rankings journal.
- Semester study abroad: Assumption is very supportive of students studying abroad. In fact, a student’s financial aid award is applied to formal, approved study abroad programs in more than 50 locations around the globe. For those majoring in subjects with an explicit international focus – such as a foreign language, global studies, or international business, studying abroad is highly recommended, although not required.
- Short-term academic travel: A number of courses and faculty at Assumption offer opportunities to travel abroad for one or two weeks. These visits take place during school breaks and students can choose whether or not to participate. In some cases, Assumption partially underwrites the cost of the trip. Students have visited England, Ireland, France and Eastern Europe to name a few places they have visited.
- Cocurricular travel: Our students have performed throughout Europe and performed community service across the U.S. and Mexico. All these experiences enrich their education and their perspectives.
- Postgraduate study abroad: Assumption works closely with students to prepare their applications for prestigious post-graduate programs like the Fulbright Scholarship.
The Benefits of Travel Abroad
- Broaden your undergraduate education with international perspectives
- Gain a deeper, richer understanding of your own cultural identity
- Become true citizens of the world.
Videos of the Study Abroad Experience
Assumption students explored "The High Days of the Low Countries" with their professors as part of the Fortin and Gonthier Foundations of Western Civilization program. This blog describes their experiences in Brussels, Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp, and Amsterdam, during their 10-day expedition in May 2013 as they discovered the cultural riches of history, art, and architecture in these grand cities of Northern Europe.
16 Assumption College students contributed photos and videos to a blog capturing their voyage to the Golden Age of the Low Countries. Click here to read the journal.
To begin with their day-to-day itinerary, click the button below.
To learn about the Foundations Program Travel Seminar to Venice, click here.