A total of 11 courses (33 credits) is required for a Spanish major and for the Spanish major with a concentration in Hispanic Culture and Civilizations. An Education concentration requires the Spanish major courses and 7 to 10 courses (21 to 30 credits) in the Education area. A student completes a minor in Spanish by taking a total of 6 courses (18 credits).
One course in the written language
- SPA 210: Problems in Spanish Grammar
- SPA 220: Spanish Composition
- SPA 301: Advanced Spanish Composition
One course in the spoken language
- SPA 120: Spanish V: Conversational Spanish and Grammar Review
- SPA 302: Advanced Spanish Oral Expression
One course in culture/civilization
- SPA 310: Spanish Culture and Civilization I
- SPA 311: Spanish Culture and Civilization I
- SPA 312: Spanish-American Culture and Civilization I
- SPA 313: Spanish-American Culture and Civilization II
- SPA 315: Caribbean Literature and Culture
- SPA 316: Emerging Modernity in the Hispanic World
- SPA 366: Topics in Spanish Cinema
- SPA 386: Latin American Cinema
A minimum of 3 courses in Spanish and Spanish-American literature studied in Spanish at the 200 level or higher.
Electives (for Spanish majors and Spanish majors with the Hispanic Culture and Civilization concentration)
Electives can be chosen from among the Spanish offerings or in related areas such as Latin American Studies, Linguistics (LIN), Classics (CLT), and courses in other departments that supplement and/or complement the major. One course may be selected in English from Classics or Linguistics:
- LIN 101: Introduction to Linguistics
- CLT 210: Classical Mythology
- CLT 217: Introduction to Film Studies: World Cinema Focus
- CLT 276: Women and Film
Electives (for Spanish majors with the Education concentration)
Faculty advisors from both the Languages Department and the Education Department will work individually with students to select appropriate electives to ensure students can complete their course work in four years.
A total of 6 courses (18 credits) is required for a minor in Spanish. All the courses for the minor must be in Spanish and you will work closely with a departmental advisor to select your courses.