Communications is an exciting field that continues to grow in this economic climate. Assumption College offers two academic programs that focus on developing the essential knowledge and strong skill set necessary for a successful career in various media or corporate, nonprofit, government or entrepreneurial organizations.
Writing and Mass Communications
This program is a concentration within the English department.
- Take courses in a variety of areas including writing, journalism, speech, film, electronic communication, writing for a digital environment, theater and television production.
- Study traditional literature courses that sharpen your analytical skills as you consider questions raised by the works you read.
- Enhance your abilities to read critically, write clearly, think creatively and speak effectively.
- Gain practical experience and theoretical grounding through a required Capstone Seminar during your senior year and work on projects such as documentary production, web site design and e-portfolios.
This major, offered through the Business Studies Department, has a business foundation with a required core of six business courses, including; management, marketing and microeconomics.
- Study the patterns, systems and networks of communication within an organization.
- Develop your ability to effectively communicate with internal and external constituencies.
- Study marketing and management principles to complement your communication skills.
- Gain practical experience. You are required to take an internship course for credit that includes a small-seminar component or a course that helps you build your professional portfolio before you graduate.
As a student at Assumption, you have numerous opportunities to fine tune your communication skills.
- Write for the campus newspaper, Le Provocateur
- Publish personal essays or fiction in Thoreau’s Rooster or The Phoenix
- Write and edit segments for broadcast on the local radio station WUCW or ACTV, Assumption’s own television station
- Perform in theatrical productions
- For-credit internships at places like WGBH Boston, the Worcester Telegram and Gazette, and Davis Publishing
- Public Relations
- Strategic Communications
- Marketing Communications
- Investor Relations
- Government Relations
- Crisis Management
- Internal Communications